Monday, November 10, 2008

Peer Pressure

So, some time ago a fellow blogger/best friend pitched an idea to me for a blog entry- 50 things about myself/50 things I want to do before I died. I initially resisted because I wasn't sure that anyone wanted to read about me on a personal level. In the last few days, however, I've come across a few "50 Things" lists on YouTube and Blogger and they're freakishly interesting to listen to and read. I don't know if there's actually 50 things on this list, and I'm not sure they actually reveal anything about me, but nonetheless, here's a list of stuff about me. Tune out now if you don't care. Just so you know, the guest blog is coming- it just hasn't been totally arranged yet. It'll be cool, though.

Inconsequential Stuff About Me:

1. I live in a "sustainable community" where most people shop organic, but drive land-yachts.

2. The best thing I've ever read is probably the poem "First Fig" by Edna St. Vincent Millay:
"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!"

3. I never feel worse or more guilty than when someone honks their horn at me while I'm driving

4. I think clubbing (as in going to nightclubs, not as in bludgeoning), as a rule, is way too much effort. It's just not worth it to get dressed a certain way, act a certain way, etc., just to have the privilege of buying overpriced booze and spending a few hours in a commercially-sponsored sweatlodge.*

5. I promised myself a long time ago that I would follow through on one of my oldest dreams this coming summer. And I'm doing it.

6. I didn't like the movie Juno. Just didn't like it.

7. The best Simpsons episode is "Lisa the Vegetarian," the best Futurama episode is "The Devil's Hands are Ilde Playthings," and the best Family Guy episode is the Christmas episode where Lois goes ape shit.

8. I love watching vlogs on YouTube, but the thought of making one myself horrifies me for absolutely no rational reason.

9. Fall is my favorite season.

10. The only movie that's ever made me cry was E.T. In my defense, I was like...5. The only other movie that's come close to making me cry was the Dixie Chicks documentary, Shut Up and Sing. Judge me.

11. I remember talking my parents into getting the Internet at our house.

12. I love the city.

13. I think the most scared I've ever been is when I watched Gremlins.

14. I can't hear the song "Hit 'Em Up Style" by Blu Cantrell without thinking of 9/11. The back story for this is more complicated than this list will allow. Just accept it.

15. I fell asleep 10 minutes into Citizen Kane and have yet to make any serious effort to watch it all the way through.

16. I've seen one of those perfect tropical sunsets. They're even more insane in real life than in photos.

17. I think people should sing more. A lot more.

18. I always say how much I like IKEA. Then I spend 3 hours in that place, buy something, build it with all the grace of a caveman going after a dead antelope, end up with 2 screws and a bamboo peg left over, and have to seriously fight back the urge to go back there and just torch the bitch.

19. The idea of the army horrifies me.

20. These are the 5 CDs I'd take with me to a desert island:

Chances- Jill Barber
Man Descending- Justin Rutledge (And just in case you're wondering, the answer is yes and no.)
Amnesiac- Radiohead
Lady Day- Billie Holiday
The Hold Up- Donovan Woods

21. There's an essay by Frederick Jamieson about Jaws that's influenced the way I view the world more than almost anything else.

22. I hated high school, and wouldn't do it again to save my life. But at times I miss it a lot.

23. I've had a perfect day.

24. I miss thinking that I know stuff.

25. I'd rather gnaw off my own foot than sit through a T.V. commercial.**

26. I know that it isn't really fair to say that a certain movie or type of music is good or bad because taste is subjective and stuff. Nonetheless, there are musicians and movies that just should not be. Some stuff is just bad.

27. It baffles me when people say they're going to vote for someone because they "identify with them"or because they can "relate to them." Call me crazy, but the last person I want running a country is someone like me.

28. I think that volatility and neurotic-ness (is that a word?) are probably the most attractive characteristics in the world.

30. I play a "game" with myself to try and improve my powers of articulation and explanation. Whenever I see something that would be baffling to someone from say, 1478, in my head, I do my best to try and explain it in such a way as to make that person understand that particular thing. It drives me nuts.

31. Surprise! I ran out of energy and motivation before I hit 50! I have to go work now, on thingsway less interesting, but more important than self-reflexive blogging. Until next time.

*There are exceptions to this rule
**My friend was kind enough to point out to me that I do, indeed love the "Magic Bullet" Infomercial. I refuse to include this under the umbrella of 'T.V. Commercials' on the grounds that it's more of a lifestyle choice than anything else. 

2 comments:

Alli said...

I'm waiting for the next 13 facts.

Nikki said...

I'm with Alli...still waiting...but for the remaining 19 facts...I see her enjoyment of math has not grown recently:P :DD