Friday, July 25, 2008

Decadence

I will keep this brief as my previous entry was absurdly long. Just for reference: most of what I write will be absurdly long. I'm writing without page restrictions and word limits for the first time in a year. I'm trying to squeeze as much joy from it as I can.

In North America, we move very fast. We have a very skewed view of time as linear and relentless- something to be compartmentalized and conquered one unit at a time. Time is simply the means to some end. I feel that this is dangerous thinking. Time is an almost supernatural force which, along with a few other things (gravity, magnetism, Rupert Murdoch) more or less govern the way our world is structured and more importantly, how we view our physical and social realities. How, then, can we feel like we can safely subordinate time to our wishes (usually material or monetary) and not be messing with some serious shit? 

This will just seem like an over-glorified iteration of "take time to smell the roses." But hey, that phrase has been kicking around for a good while now. Maybe it's time to shut up and listen. In the fight between people and time, time always wins. Always. That's why we die. Medical science has given time a run for it's money in the last 50 years, extending the life span of the average North American by a number of years. That is admirable work and work that I appreciate. It's reassuring to know that I've got more than 20 years to play with after I get out of school. But time will always win. Why not just accept it and work with it?

Don't yell at people to get going faster. Don't speed on highways, tailgate and pass on double lines. Don't endanger your family by dodging in and out of cars to try and shave a few minutes off your trip. Just...smell the roses. Ouch. Work with time, not against it. Drink wine, eat good food, read good books, stay up late and sleep later, enjoy simple luxuries, take vacations! Enjoy.

**

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: